Answering Mixed Questions Activity
Description: Once you’ve taught children to answer specific types of yes/no and wh- questions, it’s important to help them mix it up as well! Choose one picture and ask a series of questions about it. For example, if the picture is of the breakfast table, you can ask the following questions:
- Did you eat breakfast today?
- What do you eat for breakfast?
- Who do you eat breakfast with?
- Where do you eat breakfast?
- When do you eat breakfast?
- Why do you eat breakfast?
- How do you eat breakfast?
- How many bowls are in this picture?
It’s helpful when you’re doing this to have a visual aid like the one at the bottom of the page above that serves as a key for answering questions. The key should say things like “what means thing”, “where means place”. It’s ok if the child can’t read yet, having it written out and adding a few pictures will reinforce the points when you explain it to them verbally. You can make up your own questions about pictures around your therapy room, or download the questions pack you see above with over 250 questions.